Hi Alon,

Thanks for all the PKCS#11 integration work you've spearheaded across
the community.

You may have heard of p11-kit before. It tries to solve several problems
with using PKCS#11 modules across the Desktop. In particular when
multiple applications or libraries want to use the same PKCS#11 modules.
Most importantly:

 * Coordinating initialization and finalizing.
 * A standard place to put configuration of which modules to load
   and how to load them.

More documentation here: http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/p11-kit.html

p11-kit can be used as a PKCS#11 module, and as such will integrate out
of the box into anything that supports PKCS#11. So pkcs11-helper can
already use p11-kit.

I'm interested in integrating p11-kit more closely into pkcs11-helper.
But I figured I'd talk with you before hacking. Some areas where
integration could take place:

 * Allowing pkcs11-helper to load modules from a standard
   location. Does pkcs11-helper have a concept of a module
   registry? If not, this could be a nice addition provided
   by p11-kit.

 * Initializing modules via p11-kit so that refcounting, and
   pInitArgs stuff works if more than one app/library in the
   same process uses a PKCS#11 module.

 * Safe forking (pkcs11-helper already does this, but p11-kit
   forking stuff integrates with the initialization refcounting).

Perhaps more? How do this sound?

Cheers,

Stef