On 02/08/2011 16:22, Felipe Blauth wrote:

> Java Cryptographic is based on JCA/JCE arquitecture. The document at
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/security/p11guide.html ,
> preety much explains everything you need to know.
I'll have to reread it.

> It says, for example,
> that  only trusted certificates or pairs (key, certificates) are listed
> as aliases from a Java perspective.
Noticed that. So no way to use plain keypairs w/o certs...

>>     - once I can read a cert, how could I determine which slot I should
>>     authenticate against to use the corresponding private key?
> The slot is fixed at the properties file. SUNPKCS #11 demands that you
> use diferent properties files for diferent slots.
I'm generating the 'config' file on-the-fly anyway, but I'd need a
method to know what-is-where.

>>     - should I avoid SunPKCS11 and base my program on "simple" PC/SC?
> I would say no. If you can code in C, it is better to use pure C PKCS
> #11 (or some helper like libp11 or pkcs11-helper), since working with
> APDU's is not easy (nor necessary). If you need to stick to Java, maybe
> JNI is the answer.
I usually do C, but this time I need a java applet for:
1) a web-based password manager I have to write for the office
2) safely and strongly authenticate users to a plain HTTP page (very
shared-hosting friendly!) -- I already can authenticate users w/ a
smartcard (on https), but it needs Firefox to load its PKCS11 that
"locks" the card and no other process can use it.

I don't really like JNI since it usually needs uncommon client-side
libraries, that's why I thought about pcsc (even if, after all, it's JNI
anyway), since I already studied it and deps-wise it doesn't need
anything more than the minimum.

BYtE,
  Diego.