On 2012-02-19 13:32, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
>> Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>> For non-government tokens like the excellent Feitian Epass2003
>>> I would consider another approach: Updating the firmware to
>>> emulate PIV so that we can put the middleware aside once and
>>> for all.
>> I agree completely that all the legacy involved in tokens and cards
>> is horrendous waste of engineering resources, time and life.
>
> What??? Are suggesting that we should upgrade the ePass2003 firmware?
> This is ridiculous.

Dear Jean-Michel,

It depends what your interest is.  My clients which include banks
and government agencies are only interested in *using* tokens with
as little "fuzz" as possible.  In spite of my role as a consultant
I think they are right.

You didn't hear my presentation at FOSDEM 2012 but it was about
creating a token with a standard API so that you would as a customer
be able to just plug it in.  This is though a much more ambitious
project than reflashing ePass2003 to emulate PIV.

Why PIV?  Due to Europe's limited success creating an interoperable
card standard, it seems that NIST's PIV would be good choice.  Since
some 98% of our client platforms nowadays are defined by only three
giant US corporations, US standards will always be better supported.

Cheers,
Anders