On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 17:48 +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:
> Hello,
>

> SPE is Secure PIN entry.
>
> Depending on the exact version of your reader (there are several) the
> S in SPE can be bogus:
>

> http://martinpaljak.net/2011/03/19/insecure-hp-usb-smart-card-keyboard/
>

> The reader will still function as a standard reader, but the "PIN
> entry through numpad" is disabled.
>
> Martin

<huge sigh of relief>

On a personal note: i wouldn't mind if that part got disabled,
Actually, i always use the top row on the keyboard, instead of the
numeric-pad. For those ultra-secure-solutions people should use a
dedicate reader+pinpad, class-3 preferably (with own window)

Our security department might think otherwise. I'll check with them.
But i think they won't make a big fuss, as for home and travelling
purposes they've bought 50,000 folded readers.

All our workplaces in the office are equipped with those HP-keyboards, i
think that SPE should not be required there ;-)

Hans