Hi!

I cannot answer the question *why* encoding/decoding is done in
particular.

But some time ago OpenSC's ASN.1 implementation had the limitation
to tags on one byte (ec public key is 7f49, I think). So, in a more
general note, ASN.1 support in OpenSC could be extended. Or stop
reimplementig everything and use something like asn1c, OpenSSL or
whatever. For the nPA, I used the latter for encoding ASN.1/TLV.

Greets, Frank.

On Thursday, September 20 at 01:11AM, Andreas Schwier (ML) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> we've come across a strange behaviour of the pkcs15-lib in OpenSC when
> we generate an EC key pair:
>
> After generating an fresh EC key pair, our code returns a
> sc_pkcs15_pubkey containing the EC public key and DER encoded domain
> parameter. The public key is then encoded in sc_pkcs15init_generate_key
> and added to the DF in the framework when it's immediately decoded again.
>
> During this encode / decode step the domain parameter are lost.
>
> I'm wondering why this encode / decode step is done ?
>
> If it is required for some reason, then I would rather encode the public
> key in SubjectPublicKey structure that would also preserve the domain
> parameter in AlgorithmIdentifier.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
>
>     ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting