Ludovic --

Thank you for the quick and thorough response.  My apologies that I
wasn't able to reply sooner.

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Ludovic Rousseau
<ludovic.rouss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> libusb (or udev but you do not use it) is used by pcscd to discover USB
> readers.
>
> libusb is used by libccid to access the USB readers.

That makes sense.  Thank you for making it clear.

> You can write your own simpler pcscd if you want.

> The question is: why would you change existing and working code?

What I actually want to do is to limit the capabilities of the
existing code; the question in my head is whether it's easier to
rewrite, or if it's possible to configure (either compile or run time)
the specific and limited behaviors I want.  In particular:

1. Limit crypto tokens to exactly one USB port, instead of scanning
all of them.  The selection of USB port can change at runtime, though.

2. Get insertion / removal notifications fairly quickly, and in a
fairly lightweight manner.  the pkcs11- and pcks15-tool programs seem
to be able to get status, so that's obviously doable with pcscd, so
I'll have to investigate that.

> What is the problem with the existing programs?

Deployment complexity, primarily.  Having another program running is
another program that I have to run a watchdog for, and restart upon
failure, etc.  This instrument has only one userspace process running;
adding another one will actually increase the complexity quite a bit.

Additionally, we're building the root image from scratch, so we also
have to configure and cross-compile all necessary libraries and
executables.  The fewer of those we need, the better off we'll be.

Regardless, thank you very much for the tips, and I'll investigate from here.

Best regards,
Anthony Foiani