I am not using the Muscle card applet, but was looking looking at the OpenSC
debug log for this thread:
Re: [opensc-devel] The smart card reader is known as "VMware Virtual USB CCID
00 00" in linux ??!!

The OpenSC card-muscle.c (0.12.2 or 0.13.0) is looking for PROTO_VERSION_MAJOR=1

The author of the original note said:
  > I've loaded and initialized Muscle applet (0.9.11) on it.

This appears in the log that GET_STATUS is returning: 00 01 00 05 ...
i.e. PROTO_VERSION_MAJOR=0, PROTO_VERSION_MINOR=1

This version from 2003-12-19, does not sound like the latest to me...

Yet in the Muscle CVS archives:
   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/muscleplugins/trunk/MCardApplet/
as of 4 years ago has version.properties has:

   APPLET_VERSION_MAJOR=0
   APPLET_VERSION_MINOR=9

   PROTO_VERSION_MAJOR=1
   PROTO_VERSION_MINOR=3

And there have been changes in the SVN 9 months ago, 2 years ago and
3 years ago, which are not reflected in the Download page:
   https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=30111

Can the download versions be update, or the page change to say
compile it yourself? Or point to the OpenSC page?

Then on OpenSC-project:
   http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/MuscleApplet
it says:
  "OpenSC supports the Muscle applet, available from Debian SVN:"
    svn co svn://svn.debian.org/muscleplugins/trunk/MCardApplet

    (This appears to be the same SVN as on the Muscle page, revision 298
     from 9 months ago.)

    "An updated version, targeting recent JavaCard 2.2.2 cards with
    extended APDUs is available from github:"
      http://github.com/martinpaljak/MuscleApplet

This github is 3 years old, yet changes where made to the Muscle SVN
9 months ago.

https://github.com/martinpaljak/MuscleApplet/blob/master/src/com/musclecard/CardEdge/CardEdge.java
(3 years old)
      buffer[pos++] = (byte) 1; // Major Card Edge Protocol version n.
      buffer[pos++] = (byte) 3; // Minor Card Edge Protocol version n.
      buffer[pos++] = (byte) 0; // Major Applet version n.
      buffer[pos++] = (byte) 9; // Minor Applet version n.

Which is in line with the PROTO_VERSION_MAJOR the OpenSC code is looking for.

Can Martin and Ludovic get together and get these versions in sync,
and make it so others don't download the 9 year old version?

Thanks.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory