http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jan-20-1.html

Mono's new engine generates much better code than the version found in Mono 2.0.

Speed: The engine will mostly benefit computationally intensive code, usually
between 10% and 30% performance increase, with some cases going up as high as
being 50% faster.

Code size: the new engine generates slimmer code, typically 12% to 20% smaller
code generated.

Check out some of the benchmark results.

SIMD

Using SIMD for accelerating certain floating point operations had been in the
back of our minds for a while. We looked into implementing that in our old
engine, but that turned out to be very difficult.

With the new engine, Rodrigo was able to put together a prototype in a weekend
(the legend goes that Rodrigo's wife was busy that weekend).

This prototype was later turned into Mono.SIMD an API for accelerating vector
operations.

Mono 2.2 is the first release to officially support and distribute it. To learn
more about Mono.SIMD support, you can see this blog entry.