Dr Scofield wrote:
> i've been looking at where region modules live in our source tree ---
> OpenSim/Region/Modules and OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules --- and
> how they get bundled:
>
>     * modules in OpenSim/Region/Modules get their own private DLL
>     * OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules get lumped into ONE gigantic DLL
>
> off the 3 modules living in OpenSim/Region/Modules 2 might be good
> candidate for forge project: python and SvnSerializer. the third really
> belongs to the Terrain region module and seems to contain the default
> terrain effects.
>
> i think it would make sense to
>
>     * have all region modules living in the same neighborhood (i'd
>       prefer OpenSim/Region/Modules), the current layout is a bit confusing

Don't we need to make a distinction between 'service' modules (such as the REST
module) and scene/environment modules
though?  The former are not attached to a scene (and may well never be
concerned with scene code) while the latter are
very much scene related.

>     * break up the region module super-DLL so that each region module
>       gets a DLL of its own

At least on mono, I'm guessing that this would vastly expand build times.
Certainly at the moment, each invocation of
mono to build a new assembly appears to take far longer than building many
files in a single dll.

I also tend to think of the current modules in
OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules as fairly core modules that one would
expect to be packaged together, and which it would be inconvenient to split up.

> this would make the whole region module business much more, err, modular
> (and, who knows, perhaps we'd even have one day a build system like the
> "make menuconfig" one found in the linux kernel tree)
>
> what is the general opinion on this? i'd be willing to undertake the
> refactoring (including tackling the prebuild.xml dragon).
>
>     DrS/dirk
>
> --
> dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
> SL: dr scofield ---- drscofi...@xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/