On this topic, I am involved with a company that is doing exactly that -- using virtual worlds (OpenSim in particular) to model urban planning projects. The terraingen tool is part of that, but we're focusing on the dynamics of urban areas, traffic mostly. You can see the beginnings of that in a demo I put up in the UCI Grid -- see http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Second_Birthday for how to visit. (once there, click on the panel in the middle of the road)

Crista

Dave Coyle wrote:
On 2009-01-25 16:13:35 -0500, m...@tola.me.uk wrote:
As for OpenSim, I'm still exploring (though I'm running out of time). The Orcas
island example  that Nebadon posted a link to is quite neat (or at least the
improved version linked to from the blog post) and the Berkeley simulation from
lidar images also provides a good example.

Another link which might be useful.. generating OpenSim terrain maps
from USGS DEM data:

    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/terraingen/

-Coyle