From: Diva Canto <d...@metaverseink.com>
To: opensim-dev@lists.berlios.de
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 5:05:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] User Authentication

Mark Malewski wrote:
Just to clarify...

> Grids could provide openIDs in the form of
> "openid.osgrid.org/users/screenname"

With all grids being independent of one another, or in the
example given by John, maybe use an "openid.osgrid.org/users/screenname"

http://openid.osgrid.org/users/Charles_Krinke

For those of you who don't know, this already exists. Click this:
http://osgrid.org:8002/users/charles_krinke
or this:
http://ucigrid00.nacs.uci.edu:8002/users/crista_lopes

Again, in this example Charles happens to have his identity at
OSGrid, but that's not a requirement of the exchange. It could just as
easily been an identity from another grid.

This way various grids could all run "openID" servers, and trust
agreements would need to be established between the various grids.
I'm not going to act on anything that suggests "trust agreements
between various grids." That's an AWG concept that I very much disagree
with, and want no part in. I have no problem with companies cutting
corners on security in order to be able to exchange agents on a
lawyer-backed up trust basis. But that's not what I'm doing here, and
that's not what a lot of people want OpenSim to be.

The goal is to be able to go from my home standalone to *any* sim out
there that I know nothing about, and still be sure that nothing bad
will happen to my belongings. Anything less than this is not acceptable
as a goal, for me.

Crista