It looks like the problem domain is taking form, nice Diva.

Once comment I had is, you wrote:

Regions hold COPIES of the assets needed to render whatever is currently in
world. Normally, this will be "by value", e.g. the sim will have a full and
valid copy of the data and be able to supply everything needed to render its
content independent of any outside servers.

If we move more towards a web model then I see most assets setting on
websites like we do with web pages.  People pull web pages ever day and let
people get access to the pictures and content.  And some websites require
authentication to get to pages.

So what I wanted to share is that if we can move to a web site model it
really helps with scalability and takes a load of the simulator to just move
images.  Seems these images should be retrieved from the source and the
person hosting them should be responsibly for the bandwidth and cost of
hosting these images.  Sure someone may turn off their site and we loose
access to these images but we live with that now on the web.  Websites that
take their content seriously will not have that happen.  Except for baked
images or things that have to be uploaded by the client and cached on the
simulator for a period I like the idea of minimizing the involvement of
assets on the simulator.

I guess to support SL client functionality there may need to support both
models.

Kevin Tweedy
IRC: Mystical