I disagree completly. Osim run fine in 64Bits. All our sims are in 64B and we don't experience any majour issues.

Sacha

Le 18 juin 09 à 19:39, Nebadon Izumi a écrit :

regardless of PAE in 32 bit mode the most memory OpenSim.exe could consumeis 3.3gb of ram, Also my experience with 64 bit is less than good, in windows there is no 64 bit with OpenSim, you can not make ODE run in 64 bit mode in windows, and in Linux i experiece major issues with openjpeg in 64 bit mode, I personally do not suggest anyone run OpenSim in 64 bit mode unless you like issues. and to be honest I have not seen a single case to date where any OpenSimulator could run much past 2gb of ram anyway without totally blowing up, My conclusion to 64 bit opensimulator is that you would be completly wasting your time, the only way a 64 bit system is good is if you have more than 4gb ram and plan on running multiple single instance simulators in 32bit emulated mode where the total combined requirements of the multiple simulators combined equals more than 3.5gb ram. Otherwise running opensimulator in 64bit mode gains you absolutely nothing but problems trying to run in Native 64 bit mode.

Neb

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Mike Dickson <mike.dick...@hp.com> wrote: It doesn't take alot of "tricks" to use beyond 3.5GB of memory with a 32
bit OS.  The PAE kernel will handle it. I have one system with 24GB
that's 32bit (for othe reasons).  I've also run OpenSIm 64bit fine
recently so I think either approach is feasible. If I was starting from
scratch with a system with lots of memory I'd probably do 64bit...

Mike

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 16:45 +0000, Salahzar Stenvaag wrote:
> I was curious to understand the current status of OpenSim on Linux
> architectures (such as Linux Red Hat Enterprise 5 or similar) using 64
> bit to access all the available memory.
> Browsing the documentation it seems that OpenSim can run under 64 bit,
> but I've seen MANY mantis referring to problems with 64 bit
> compilation and running.
> Also in the past I've seen some people dropping their 64 bit regions
> (and installing instead 32 bit version) because they didn't work as
> expected (instability, strange collision effects etc).
> I've also seen a 32bit-OpenSim-launcher.exe (or something similar) who
> allegedly can run opensim in 32 bit mode even on 64 bit systems, but
> do not know if this applies only to 64-bit windows or also to linux
> systems. There is some information on the wiki, but it appears quite
> outdated right now.
>
> So the question is: if people want to install opensim on a 64 bit
> system with say 8 Gbram, what do you suggest?
> 1\ don't even think that throw away 64 bit system and use a 32 bit
> system using just the 3.5 G ram it can access?
> 2\ use some tricks to launch opensim.exe as if it were a 32 bit?
> 3\ install 32 bit OS and use some tricks to make it see the memory beyond 3.5 G?
> 4\ go on and use 64 bit system it works like a charme and all the
> MANTIS and the old problems had vanished in the void? :)
>
> Thanks for any suggestion on that and if you already run OpenSim on
> RedHat 64 bit if you have any suggestions...
> sal
>

> Rodney Dangerfield  - "What a dog I got, his favorite bone is in my
> arm." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/rodney_dangerfield.html

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Sacha Magne
sacha.ma...@k-grid.com