There are two parts to the new architecture:

1) New configurations for OpenSim.exe, the region server
2) New Asset, Inventory [and soon other] servers

Let me start by number 2: don't do it yet. There is no need to do it,
since the regions are still compatible with the regular UGAIM servers,
OpenSim.Grid.XXXXServer.exe. Once all the new services are in place,
there will be documentation about how to configure server shells, which
is very simple, but since things will be much more flexible, ppl have a
lot more room to define what services run in what server(s) -- and
that's the basic idea, ppl don't necessarily need to run separate
servers for every service, they can bundle them up or replicate them as
they see fit.

But at this point there is no need to vary the UGAIM servers while so
many changes are happening in the simulator, so stick to the regular
servers for a little longer.

About 1, OpenSim.exe configs: in general, the only config files you need
to pay attention to are those that come out of svn as .example.
Specifically, the most important one is

config-include/<xxx>Common.ini.example,
where <xxx> is either Standalone or Grid.

Copy that file of interest to your own config-include/<xxx>Common.ini
and make the necessary configuration changes. That's all.

If anyone wants to place this info on the Wiki, with concrete examples,
that will be appreciated.