On 16/10/13 20:46, Toni Alatalo wrote:
On Oct 16, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <jjusti...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
In fact, I would say that making OpenSimulator as functional as possible "out of the
box" (within certain bounds such as not bundling a web interface) is a standard
OpenSimulator operating procedure.  That's why we have SQLite as the default database,
for example.

I suppose that is certainly the case when you think of it as a distribution
also in itself, and not just a part of some larger distros (like Diva's etc).

If it would be strictly considered as a lib to be used in some system that
fills in the rest, then what makes sense can differ. Like say Bullet or Ogre
are.

But given that there are a lot of people out there who just use Opensim as is,
always new people just grabbing and launching it and starting to use, I figure
your statement must have truth in it.

I agree that there is a tension between making OpenSimulator usable out-of-the-box and doing different things in downstream distributions.

My preference for out-of-the-box is to keep as many people using core OpenSimulator as possible. Multiple distributions are valuable but I feel that they can fragment development resources. And then there is the temptation (which I would have) to focus complex changes on one's own distribution rather than making the effort to negotiate them upstream.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting