That's part of the point I'm trying to make, though I might be expressing
myself poorly. Any viewer for Opensim would be a SL clone more or less. Because
if multiple people using multiple viewers are on the same sim, they all need to
be able to see the same things and interact the same way (without eg: a viewer
seeing a box and another seeing a sphere). Therefore any non-SL viewer would
have to implement exactly the same things SL has: An avatar you can move around
as (which must have the same armature and body customization settings as SL
viewer), the ability to build primitives (which must have the same shapes and
features as SL viewer), a sky (which must have the same options as windlight),
a terrain editor (which must work with the same heightmap terrain), etc.

As long as this is the case, there shouldn't even be a difference as far as
Opensim is concerned. My worry was that there might be plans to divide Opensim
between multiple technologies and client <-> server architectures, and Second
Life viewer might then become a secondary matter. Then again this is unlikely,
since like I said viewer specific changes in the server would mean some avatars
could only see or use some things, which would likely be deemed as unacceptable
in the default Opensim code.

Still, this mean Opensim must be a server for the SL technology, whether it's
for use with a Linden viewer fork or a viewer someone created on their own.
Being a general use platform conflicts with this limitation, which is why I was
a little confused as to what Opensim's official stance toward viewers is.