There is no way to set prim size by parcel and also it would not
make much sense, as prims can be pushed across parcel boundaries.
However, there are two settings related to maximum prim size. One is
the actual maximum physical and nonphysical size, the other is the
"clamp" setting.
If you set a low prim size for a region, but don't set clamping to
true, the region will prevent the creation of new large prims, but
will not reduce the existing ones, thereby preserving your builds.
This may just fit the bill.
Also, there is a setting (per OpenSim instance, I'm afraid, that
disallows physical prim in a region. You may want to also look into
that if your students don't require the feature.
The physical prims setting refers to setting a prim "physical", not
it's solidity. Setting physical prims to false disallows things like
popguns or vehicles, but would also prevent students from
accidentally setting a larger prim physical. You can obtain a
similar effect by setting the max physical prim size to something
very small, it will effectively disable setting prims physical.

Melanie