I feel like a dummy needing to ask this question but after searching the forums
and reading the simple instructions I believe I am missing something rather
basic.

I had done this often back a year and a half ago, where I downloaded the .ZIP
file from the github, unpacked it’s contents into a “build” directory and ran a
.bat file that ended up generating a new bin folder I used for testing on my
development system.

I know I had edited the .bat file I used, to do a few extra things like copy in
my .ini files etc, save the old bin folder, and move the new bin folder in
place.

My problem is I long ago deleted that file and the environment I used for
making those builds.

I read the build instructions and is looks very simple to run.  First run the
“runprebuild.bat” which results in the “compile.bat” to run which should end up
with the new bin folder containing the basic set of files for opensim.

My problem is the bin folder does end up with several new compiled files but
there are a few errors along the way, and there is no opensim.exe file to run.

.NET 4.5.1, Visual Studio 2010 x64, and Visual Studio 2012 x64 Redistribution
are all installed on my windows 8.1 system which I believe is what was on it
back when I was doing this before.

What obvious step am I missing?

I kind of remember having to build several temporary directories in the old way
I did this.  I thought I found an example of the .bat in some “how to” tutorial
on either opensim or osgrid fourms but nothing turns up when I search now.

Here is the end of the compile output showing the last 2 errors and two of the
warnings.

I tried to reinstall the .NET 4.0 SDK which did run but ended with errors.  It
said it successfully uninstalled the SDK but then failed to reinstall it for
reasons only Bill Gates can figure out I think.  The only major thing I have
done to this system over the past 1.5 years was change to an SSD drive and
upgrade to windows 8.1 from windows 8.0

"C:\opensim\build\opensim\opensim.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Tests\Clients\Presence\OpenSim.Tests.Clients.
PresenceClient.csproj" (default target) (89) ->
(GetReferenceAssemblyPaths target) ->
  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(983,
5): warning MSB3644: The reference assemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Vers
ion=v4.0" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack fo
r this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the frame
work for which you have the SDK or Targeting Pack installed. Note that assembli
es will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in pl
ace of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targe
ted for the framework you intend. [C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Tests\Clien
ts\Presence\OpenSim.Tests.Clients.PresenceClient.csproj]

"C:\opensim\build\opensim\opensim.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Tests\Clients\Presence\OpenSim.Tests.Clients.
PresenceClient.csproj" (default target) (89) ->
(ResolveAssemblyReferences target) ->
  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1605
,5): warning MSB3247: Found conflicts between different versions of the same de
pendent assembly. [C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Tests\Clients\Presence\Open
Sim.Tests.Clients.PresenceClient.csproj]
  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1605
,5): warning MSB3270: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture o
f the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the referenc
e "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll", "AMD64". This
mismatch may cause runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted pro
cessor architecture of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to
align the processor architectures between your project and references, or take
a dependency on references with a processor architecture that matches the targe
ted processor architecture of your project. [C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\T
ests\Clients\Presence\OpenSim.Tests.Clients.PresenceClient.csproj]

(ResolveAssemblyReferences target) ->
  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1605
,5): warning MSB3247: Found conflicts between different versions of the same de
pendent assembly. [C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Server\Robust.csproj]
  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1605
,5): warning MSB3270: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture o
f the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the referenc
e "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll", "AMD64". This
mismatch may cause runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted pro
cessor architecture of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to
align the processor architectures between your project and references, or take
a dependency on references with a processor architecture that matches the targe
ted processor architecture of your project. [C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\S
erver\Robust.csproj]

"C:\opensim\build\opensim\opensim.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Region\Application\OpenSim.csproj" (default t
arget) (2) ->
"C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Region\CoreModules\OpenSim.Region.CoreModules
.csproj" (default target) (18) ->
(CoreCompile target) ->
  Avatar\Inventory\Archiver\InventoryArchiveWriteRequest.cs(123,101): error CS0
104: 'CompressionLevel' is an ambiguous reference between 'System.IO.Compressio
n.CompressionLevel' and 'Ionic.Zlib.CompressionLevel' [C:\opensim\build\opensim
\OpenSim\Region\CoreModules\OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.csproj]
  Avatar\Inventory\Archiver\InventoryArchiveWriteRequest.cs(123,118): error CS0
117: 'System.IO.Compression.CompressionLevel' does not contain a definition for
'BestCompression' [C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Region\CoreModules\OpenSim
.Region.CoreModules.csproj]
  World\Archiver\ArchiveWriteRequest.cs(104,116): error CS0104: 'CompressionLev
el' is an ambiguous reference between 'System.IO.Compression.CompressionLevel'
and 'Ionic.Zlib.CompressionLevel' [C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Region\Core
Modules\OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.csproj]
  World\Archiver\ArchiveWriteRequest.cs(104,133): error CS0117: 'System.IO.Comp
ression.CompressionLevel' does not contain a definition for 'BestCompression' [
C:\opensim\build\opensim\OpenSim\Region\CoreModules\OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.
csproj]

    196 Warning(s)
    4 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:39.56