Is there any way you can force the client to use a port?  Using the SLP
port for client reception would require that all client responses are
forwarded through a service/daemon, because there can be only one socket
receiving those requests and multiple apps on the machine may need to
perform requests. That's the reason the SA & DA functionality is in a
service.

The section I'm referring to is 6.1 in RFC 2608. I can see how it might be
slightly ambiguous, as it states that the SLP port is the destination port
for all SLP messages, but a following sentence clarifies how replies are
acknowledgements are to be sent.

--Nick