Oh, this happens because OWNER has not been implemented (yet??) in the
google OpenSocial APIs. It's documented actually, if you look at the
docs.

So it's a known issue. Now, if we can READ the owner's variables, it
should be logical that we should be able to also WRITE them. Except,
of course, for the javascript security part, which is the undoing of a
lot of the features for now.

I was working on a profile counter yesterday, and came across this
same problem. Updating the OWNER's variables is unsupported by Orkut.
It actually returns an INTERNAL SERVER ERROR (see the response in
firebug). Anyway, these internal server errors suck because they can
also happen sporadically/spontaneously for now. And they don't give
you any error info for getError(), which throws an error itself
because the js lib is not expecting an internal server error.

That said, I looked around the API and chose to use the InstanceData
methods. Turns out, thankfully, an INSTANCE of a gadget is a
persistent instance that stays on the owner's profile. Well, that's
really all I need, anyway.

Here is my counter. It even tracks who has been to your page (stalk
your stalkers). I think it would be a cool feature and I'd even submit
it to google for people to use. But it's a bit insecure (people can
hack in and set any number over there). Hopefully not a lot else can
be done, though. It runs completely without a backend server.

CHECK IT OUT ON MY PAGE if you want:

http://sandbox.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=6174874846961425460&bpc=1

Greg Magarshak