Ok thats a point, thanks for your thoughts.

I also do not think that Google will log something but I still can't
see a convincing reason for doing so.

Especially the gadget type url method does not need a proxy, all
relevant information is within the header. And with respect to
security it is much more secure to communicate between two well known
hosts than between a client, an unkown proxy and two hosts (app server
and network server).

Cross site scripting security is in fact blown away by the proxy
server - no one knows what is done there - so no control at all. The
smart browser who detects that your ajax call is going to another site
prohibits the access and allows only access to the proxy - who did not
serve the information at all. And what it makes it worth there is that
the proxy has no clue (because its API is not specified) to redirect a
call to the app server.

It is simple as that I, that a proxy removes all security approaches
in one go - there is no security at all (I am only speaking of the
proxy here).

Please compare the scenarios of the gadget types url and html and
build yourself a big picture of the wired data access paths. And after
been through the stuff compare it with known authentication shemas - I
will be surprised if you find one. After that you might want to check
the Facebook API because that system is already up and running.

I like to come back to my focus, I think for some types of gadget
applications a server access to the network for the whole opensocial
api will become necessary. Until then, myself and most other
developers could live with the existing api and accept insecure and
redundant traffic as long as it does not have to be secure or
authentic. While the later one is already part of investigation and
will hopefully be solved in the near future.