Thanks for the help guys.
Yes, I guess the Google Data API can help in my case (as I use Java).
And yes, usage of HTTP GET and getting a response as XML can solve
problems for other languages as well (especially, languages that are
not mentioned in the list of languages that have client libraries) -
however, the drawback of such a solution is that the user has to parse
the retrieved XML (not all languages have XML-data binding
frameworks), while in languages I encountered that have Web Services
frameworks, stubs are generated from the WSDL for the client to use.
Well, who knows , maybe in the future Google will expose the API via
web services, as they exposed it via clients for various languages,
and via the HTTP GET and HTTP response mechanism.