After additional searching I found that performance issues are mostly
with profiles whose owners are having many friends.
Some owners are having few whitelisted friends, but hundreds of
regular friends and then OS requests for such owner friends are very
slow for Orkut.  I having one user in Hi5 with many friends (for
another application) and it seems working fast there.
Thanks.
Jevs.