Yes, you should structure your application to use makeRequest to
communicate with your backend server, which has access to your
database.

As an alternative, once containers start supporting OpenSocial 0.8,
you will be able to make requests against the API from your own
server, without needing to use a JavaScript gadget.

~Arne