Yes you can fetch data from remote servers. And also store data in
your servers.
But Orkut has some guidelines in storing data in your server. please
go through the guidelines.

And for accessing remote content. Check out makePOSTrequest()

swithing between canvas and profile is very easy...
if (getViewName() == "canvas") {
// code for design to be implemented for canvas
}
if (getViewName() == "profile") {
// code for design to be implemented  for profile
}

And tabs is very easy... just checkout this code here
http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/samples/orkut_ui/tabs.xml

you can also add this code in your sandbox application thing to
experience it!