If this is correct:

In orkut, for example, your application can only write to the viewer's
data store but can fetch app data for any user who has the application
installed on their own profile.

For an example app of where viewers post scraps on owners app, the
scrap note cannot go to the owners persistence data. Also if the
viewer does not have the app installed, then again the data cannot be
written to the viewers space ! Then how can I write an app which when
installed at the owners profile will allow others to post scraps/
notes ? I think I am missing something here !