Thanks for your response Robson. Appreciate it.

Please bear with my in-experience with Opensocial and widget
development. I tried to search, as u suggested, for json and java in
google group and google but was not able to get my hands on anything
concrete.

In search there are articles where people talk about "opensocial
container" (opensource shindig) and i am thinking that  I dont need to
implement it to make my sample application work.

Can you give me some pointers on server side java app + widget
communication.

many thanks