Hi Waldemar,

   There's nothing in OpenSocial that prevents you as a container from
doing this.  Actually, MySpace uses a similar approach, where gadget
developers have to manually press a button to have MySpace fetch a new
copy of the gadget whenever they want an update to happen.  There's
some advantages to this approach, chiefly that it allows MySpace to
review all changes to a gadget, so that developers can't upload an
innocent gadget and then change it later on to become spammy or
malicious, etc, without a review.  Even if you do not save a
persistent local copy of a gadget spec to your server, Shindig has
caching built-in, so it effectively stores a copy of the XML for a
period of time.  Most containers wouldn't want to fetch the XML upon
each request (think of the load that millions of users fetching the
same XML file would put on a developer's server!)

   Many containers also perform rewrites of the gadget code for
various purposes, so don't be worried about that either.  For example,
orkut rewrites links to images to be hosted on a proxy, combines CSS
and JavaScript files, etc.  I believe that most of this functionality
is implemented in Shindig, so you may want to consult the Shindig
mailing list for more information on their rewriters.

Hope this helps,
~Arne