Hey Jan,

Partially, yes.

OpenSocial defines a javascript API, a way to proxy server side generated
content into a gadget, and a RESTful API. In this case if you want to do
server to server communication, that RESTful API is exactly what you want.

Now I know MySpace does support 3 Legged OAuth + REST (see their development
site for details), Hyves however is still running an somewhat older version
of OpenSocial (0.7), and the RESTful API was added in 0.8; They have
indicated they are interested in upgrading though, so they might support it
later this year.

An added complexity is that some containers (that's how we call OpenSocial
sites that 'container' social apps) do support the people, activities and/or
the app data REST end-points, but very few actually support the messaging
end-point, spam concerns is probably a reason for this.

I'd suggest checking out the documentation on http://wiki.opensocial.org to
get an idea of what's available and how it can be used.

    -- Chris