The UI used in the sample container shipped with Shindig is only an
example and is probably not what you want to use in a production
application. It actually relies on iGoogle's implementation, loading
an external script from gmodules.com and storing saved pref values
in
cookies. Because it's relying on Google's servers to generate the UI,
it only works for gadgets that are publicly accessible over the
internet.  If you're serving it from localhost, Google won't be able
to fetch and parse it.  You can use the Google Gadget Editor at
http://code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/tools.html#GGE to host your
spec files on gmodules.com, which allows this to work.

Real containers should generate their own UI, and provide
their own persistence mechanism.

If you just need something for development, maybe consider
the OSDE http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-development-environment/