Hi Alex. If you expect to fetch a large number of opensocial.Person
objects using opensocial.DataRequest.newFetchPeopleRequest(), you
should specify a couple of additional parameters before you send your
request. These can be used to limit the number of objects returned
among other things. Check out this snippet as an example:

var params = {};
params[opensocial.DataRequest.PeopleRequestFields.MAX] = 1000;
params[opensocial.DataRequest.PeopleRequestFields.SORT_ORDER] =
opensocial.DataRequest.SortOrder.NAME;

req.add(req.newFetchPeopleRequest('OWNER_FRIENDS', params),
'owner_friends_data');
req.add(req.newFetchPeopleRequest('VIEWER_FRIENDS', params),
'viewer_friends_data');

The documentation page below has a full listing of optional
"PeopleRequestFields" that you can specify:

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.7/reference/opensocial.DataRequest.PeopleRequestFields.html

Try playing around with these parameters and let me know if you're
able to make your request execute successfully. Thanks!

Cheers!
- Jason

P.S. Don't worry about the response text; all responses received after
calling gadgets.io.makeRequest() are formatted similarly.