Hi Stephan. Can you provide the full code snippet that is causing
ownerFriends to return undefined? The following gadget markup seems to
work as expected, even when the viewer and owner are different. The
same set of friends is listed in both cases.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Module>
  <ModulePrefs title="Owner Friends test" height="300">
    <Require feature="opensocial-0.7"/>
    <Require feature="dynamic-height"/>
  </ModulePrefs>
  <Content type="html"> <![CDATA[
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function init() {
        var req = opensocial.newDataRequest();

req.add(req.newFetchPeopleRequest(opensocial.DataRequest.Group.OWNER_FRIENDS),
'ownerFriends');
        req.send(showOwnerFriends);
      }
      function showOwnerFriends(data) {
        var ownerFriends = data.get('ownerFriends').getData();
        ownerFriends.each(
          function(person) {
            document.getElementById('content').innerHTML +=
person.getDisplayName() + '<br/>';
          }
        );
      }

      gadgets.util.registerOnLoadHandler(init);
    </script>
  ]]> </Content>
</Module>

- Jason