In short, expect several hours of downtime for your app if you have a
stateful server and you're changing your server's IP address binding
in DNS.

Historically if you had a website that doesn't rely on a social
container, in the few hours after you change DNS bindings, you can be
sure that the user's browser either gets the old IP address or the new
one, but not both.  This is not the case with OpenSocial apps.

Here's how TypeRacer ran into some downtime last night:  I deployed a
new release of the server-side code to a new server, and without
realizing this would be a fatal mistake, changed my DNS mapping to the
new IP address.  Unfortunately Orkut (and the other containers)
internally cache DNS lookups for much longer than end-users' browsers.
 So the result was that gadgets.io.makeRequest was going to the old
server (due to Orkut's high DNS TTL), while all direct requests were
going to the new server.  This wreaks havoc with stateful servers.

We've recently discussed having a "refresh" button for apps (similar
to Hi5).  This solution should also incorporate refreshing DNS.

Lane and Arne, I think this makes for a good Developer Blog article :)

Alex