Yes, I know that, but is it safe to compare to "canvas" hardcoded
string?

I thought the right way was to compare to one of the
gadgets.views.ViewType constants, but the ViewType.FULL_PAGE (which
according to the documentation means the canvas page in orkut)
contains "FULL_PAGE", not "canvas". That's what I'm questioning.