You can certainly generate your application specification using a
server-side script (PHP, Java, etc.) as sbhat has demonstrated above.
However, you cannot use the OpenSocial API directly with your server
code -- you'll have to wait until the REST-based API is available to
do this. OpenSocial is only available in JavaScript at this time.

- Jason