Hi Rajiv,
Are you talking about installation scenario? The user installs/adds
the application and the user now views the newly added/installed
application the first time, and you wish to do some thing special
during this time, like may be register the user with your backend or
write to his/her activity stream.

If that is the case ,you will find your answer on this older thread -
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-api/browse_thread/thread/1bdc84478b5dc8fb/c83e3455f35b9c71?lnk=gst&q=sharath#c83e3455f35b9c71

This is the link to the example.
http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/file/115537651881774373169/app-install.xml

If you requirement is something else, please let me know with a
usecase, I would be more happy to address that.

Thanks,
Rohit