Hi Eric,
In not so distant future Orkut will support OpenSocial 0.8 specs. A
important part of this spec is the restful api.
I believe, your requirement of posting updates to a person's profile can be
addressed using restful api.

Here is a spec document for OpenSocial 0.8 -
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.8/restfulspec.html

Thanks,
Rohit
Google Developer Programs