Hi Amit,
Here is my understanding about OpenSocial development environment for
java

For 0.7 OpenSocial
1. The Gadget XML would be developed using any kind of environment as
it is merely HTML and JavaScript inside an XML
2. The backend server, which you are communicating with is probably as
Java Web Application. This you can setup like your any other typical
J2EE Web Application development environment
3. For Testing locally, you could use a locally deployed shindig and
use your own state file to define the state of OpenSocial Container

You should probably communicate using json over the wire, as it is
very easy and effective for client side javascript.

Please feel free to ask more specific questions, I would be more than
happy to address them.

Thanks,
Rohit