Hi sb. Yes, this is expected behavior -- activities posted within the
sandbox will not appear outside of the sandbox.

In general, yes, you can expect updates to work on www.orkut.com if
you see them in the sandbox. But you should probably register a second
orkut account and have it whitelisted for the sandbox in order to test
activities as they appear in the "Updates from my friends" panel in
order to verify that all of the relevant guidelines are followed:

http://code.google.com/apis/orkut/docs/orkutdevguidelines.html

Cheers!
- Jason