Hi,
We have one example for storing a list and getting it back. This
example was written for code run. Could you use this code as the
reference?

One obvious thing, I can see in your code is that you are not using
gadgets.util.escapeString() and gadgets.utils.unescapeString()
functions.

function storeData(){
  var list=["apple","banana","orange"];
  var json = gadgets.util.escapeString(gadgets.json.stringify(list));

  var req = opensocial.newDataRequest();
  req.add(req.newUpdatePersonAppDataRequest("VIEWER",
"thefield",json));
  req.send(getData);

}
function getData(data){
  var req = opensocial.newDataRequest();
  req.add(req.newFetchPersonRequest("VIEWER"),"viewer");
  req.add(req.newFetchPersonAppDataRequest("VIEWER",
"thefield"),"viewerData");
  req.send(displayData);

}

function displayData(response){
  var person=response.get("viewer").getData();
  var
theFieldValue=gadgets.util.unescapeString(response.get("viewerData").getData()
[person.getId()].thefield);

  var obj=gadgets.json.parse(theFieldValue);
  alert(obj);

}

storeData();

Thanks,