You have several options here but it boils down to two core choices:

1. IF you don't have your own back-end server and don't expect users
to save over 10 KB of text, you can use the OpenSocial persistence
API. This API includes a pair of methods,
newUpdatePersonAppDataRequest and newFetchPersonAppDataRequest, that
allows you to store and retrieve text from client-side code -- no
server required!

2. IF you do have your own back-end and want to store a lot of user
data (text, binary files like images, etc.), you should consider
setting up a database like MySQL on your server. The gadgets library
includes a makeRequest method that enables you to fire signed GET and
POST HTTP requests to another server. You can pass any data you want
to store with these requests and place it in a database using your
server-side code. You can then send another request when your
application loads to retrieve this stored data.

The links below should help you get started. The first includes
everything you need to know regarding persistence, and the second is a
general overview of makeRequest:

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/articles/persistence.html
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/articles/makerequest.html

Let me know if you have any specific questions relating to one or both
of the methods described above.

- Jason