See my post in this thread (the language being discussed is ASP.NET
but the same information applies to PHP):

http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-orkut/browse_thread/thread/f4d7083e76f17f35

You basically have the three options that are listed there. The REST
APIs are right around the corner but they're not available yet. Until
then, you can use the gadgets.rpc library (third option in my post),
but documentation is still not available. I will work on expediting
this so you can play around with the library and get OpenSocial calls
working from your PHP application.

- Jason