Generally, you should hear from your reviewer within 24 to 48 hours of
submission. While you don't have to have a sandbox account in order to
submit an app, I don't know how you would develop the app in the first
place without access to the sandbox. Our reviewers will reject an
application if it's buggy or otherwise doesn't work properly, so you
should thoroughly test your apps in the sandbox before submitting.

- Jason