You're quite right -- makeRequest is a vital function for most
OpenSocial applications, and a number of usage examples are available.
In addition to Raman's link, check out the following pages for
snippets demonstrating makeRequest:

http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/wiki/GadgetsMakeRequest
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/articles/makerequest.html

On your back-end, all you need is a script that accesses data from
your database and returns the data as XML, JSON, or plain text. Then
you point makeRequest at this script, specify the content type, and it
will retrieve the data and invoke its callback when the data is
available. Let me know if you have any more questions on this.

- Jason