Oops, I missed too big points above:

1. makeRequest lives in the gadgets.io library. So use
gadgets.io.makeRequest instead of opensocial.makeRequest which is
undefined.
2. You don't need head or body elements. Remove the title element also
since the gadget's title is set using the title attribute of
ModulePrefs as you have already done.

- Jason