Hi R. Your application should only be able to access information for
users who have the application installed. This means that for guest
users (users who are viewing an application on another profile but
don't have the app installed themselves), the VIEWER object will be
null, and hence, viewer ID, name, and other properties won't be
available. opensocial_viewer_id is being passed with all signed
requests regardless of whether the current user has the app, but this
is a bug:

http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/issues/detail?id=168

OWNER refers to the user who installed a given application while
VIEWER refers to the user using that application at a given point in
time. If user A installs the application, he represents the OWNER (and
possibly the VIEWER if he is interacting with the application on his
own profile). If user B visits user A's profile and begins using the
app, now he represents the VIEWER, but his information won't be
available to the app if he doesn't have it installed himself. In this
case, your application should show only OWNER data which is always
available.

These articles have more on roles in OpenSocial:

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/articles/persistence-0.8.html
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/articles/datarequests/datarequests-0.8.html

Please let me know if you have any more questions on this.

- Jason