1. There may be a simpler solution in the future, but for now, the
most straightforward way to determine whether a user has an app is to
fetch the VIEWER object and determine whether it's non-null. If so,
the user has your app installed. Otherwise, your app doesn't have
access to the user's information and the object returned is null.

2. The developer guidelines do not allow direct links to install the
current app because orkut provides this already. However, you are
permitted to redirect the user to the install page IF they try to take
a certain action that requires they have the app installed (e.g.
posting a review, recording their high score, and so on). In this
case, you can retrieve the current window location to get the gadget's
ID and build the link manually:

http://www.orkut.com/Main#AppInfo.aspx?appId=[gadget ID]

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any follow-ups.

- Jason