I think the problem with appbox height going to 0px is that you are using
gadgets.window.adjustHeight(); just after makeRequest() which results in iframe
height adjustment before the content from makeRequest() has actually loaded.
You can try out some makeRequest examples here-
http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/wiki/GadgetsMakeRequest with the
latest opensocial dev app -
http://sandbox.orkut.co.in/Main#AppInfo.aspx?appId=291092957065
I suggest you to use response.error for debugging the response rather than
try..catch constructs.
ThanksAakash