I'm not completely sure why your code is running in a standalone page
but not within an orkut application. I was able to come up with a
decent workaround with the help of the discussion at
http://groups.google.com/group/google-excanvas/browse_thread/thread/b73e8820a43344e0?pli=1.
I've tested the gadget below in Firefox, Chrome, and IE and it seems
to work. Let me know if you run into any problems with it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Module>
  <ModulePrefs title="Test Canvas">
    <Require feature="opensocial-0.7"/>
  </ModulePrefs>
  <Content type="html">
    <![CDATA[
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://
testcanvas.googlecode.com/files/excanvas.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function init() {
        var context = null;
        var canvas = document.getElementById('cv');
        if (!canvas.getContext) {
          canvas = window.G_vmlCanvasManager.initElement(canvas);
        }
        if (canvas.getContext) {
          context = canvas.getContext('2d');
        }

        if (context && context.fillRect) {
          context.fillRect(0,0,40,40);
        }
      }
      gadgets.util.registerOnLoadHandler(init);
    </script>
    <canvas id="cv" width="400" height="300"></canvas>
    ]]>
  </Content>
</Module>

Cheers!