According to Orkut Developer Guidelines hosted on
http://code.google.com/apis/orkut/docs/orkutdevguidelines.html

14.     Always compress any data returned from your third-party servers
using gzip
a.      Note: Any HTTP responses returning gzipped data must have the
Content-Encoding header set to 'gzip'

In my web service calls the amount of data that go back and forth from
the orkut application to my server is of size 500 Bytes (in rare
occasions can go to 3-4K). Do I need still need to gzip my data from
my orkut application to my server.

Thanks,
-Akash